What the atopile core team are planning to make of this project and approximately how we're planning to get there.
Within each category, the features are listed in approximate order of priority.
The top-level features themselves are too, but we'll tackle the basics of some domains before the more advanced features of others.
There's a lot to come
This is a living document, not making promises, but it's a good place to start if you're interested in what's coming up. Additionally, there's a lot (more than not) that's not here yet, either because we haven't articulated it yet, and because this page would be enormous if we did.
- Retyping / Replacement
- Physical units
10kOhm +/- 1%
- Composition / Traits
- Equations / Expressions; relate the parameters of components to specs and solve at compile time
- Typing; what is allowed to or must be connected to what?
- MVP select jelly-beans from JLCPCB
- Move component database to cloud in order to support more components and component types
- Generate gerbers in CI
- DRC in CI
- Check source code and layouts are in sync
- MVP -> https://packages.atopile.io/
- Search function
- Package details page
- Package statistics
- Authentication for uploading packages
- VSCode extension
- VSCode lanaugage server
- Schematic viewer; imagine side-by-side with the code
- KiCAD extension
Things we don't have planned out.
- GUI editor
- No compatibility with
xyzECAD tool: it takes away from the core of the project; to fundamentally change how hardware engineers work. Currently integrated tools are largely seen as stepping stones away from the explicit interfaces of the past.